Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to reopen Ogden Point Breakwater on Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Following the announcement of the Government of BC’s Restart Plan and through a determination by its operations team, the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) will reopen the Ogden Point Breakwater to users on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 10 a.m.
Users will be asked to adhere to physical distancing measures outlined on signage at the entrance:
- Do not use if you are feeling sick or unwell.
- Maintain physical distancing: 2 metres or 6 feet apart.
- Please remain single file when passing others.
- Stay to the right when walking.
- Please ensure children and pets are kept close to your group.
- Wearing a mask is recommended.
- Do not loiter.
It is important that all users continue to help flatten the curve and slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community. The Breakwater was originally closed on March 24, 2020 after several incidents where community members were seen in close proximity and not adhering to the mandate by the Provincial Health Officer to practice social distancing. GVHA staff may choose to close the space again in the future if measures are not followed by users.
The Ogden Point Breakwater is a community amenity owned and managed by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority and is used by more than 450,000 people annually.